Sunday, May 31, 2015

My feet have landed

My feet have landed in Mozambique exactly a month ago, completing a goal that has been a strong force in me since I was a teenager. This blog hopes that all of us aspire to achieve a hope in our short lives, yet personally I am coming face to face with the effort and adjustment living and working in a country very different to the one I am a product of.
As you read these blurbs please realize that my mind is not changing - I'm not throwing in the hat - I'm really trying to balance day to day activities from what I'm used to to the ways these
things are done here. Many of you wished me well with sweet comments  which included bravery, motivation, and pride in me for wanting to change world.  Well as a sit here with feet stained with terracotta dirt and wishing for a good cup of coffee, let me tell you that this month I have wondered if those compliments are actually a curse that has been placed on me for drinking Reunite ( cheap wine) in the cemetery when I was in high school.
Bravery is required to start this venture but it evaporates when you start to unpack, then your "needs" hit you.  I can't believe I forgot Q-Tips! Then your cravings start and you begin disciplining yourself with your last .60 cents, bottled water won over Cadbury chocolate that day. There are many days that I  have scheduled myself to go the bathroom at Peace  Corps training hub, up and down 4 hills, even after a month it is still worth it.  If a Jeanie gave me three wishes I would ask for a broccoli farm, a tone of frozen chicken breasts, and the part-time job as a barista at the local hotel (a small cup costs close about 10% of my weekly stipend or about $16 for someone who works 40 hours a week at minimum wage in Connecticut). Technology challenged me at home because it always changing.. more services, faster, packages, and high tech.  My kids wonder how I mad it through school as they tried to explain a simple thing that I was having a cow over, here FO GET ABA IT!

Being able to communicate with family, especially Christian and Alycia, is now in my prayers along with not getting bit by a mosquito and getting malaria.

I'm sure that soon I'll find Q-Tips amd remember why I'm here.

XO













3 comments:

  1. You are blessed by helping those people and follow a dream that u had for many, many years. We all wish you strengths and prayers. You will make it, we believe in you. I am sooooo proud of you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you're doing very well. Enjoy the experience!

    P.S. How could you forget Q-tips? lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can we mail you q-tips? ;) seriously the hesitation is normal. Like in a marriage. Ride the wave of doubt. We will be proud of you no matter what. Just remember that. Love, my friend.

    ReplyDelete