Tuesday, August 4, 2015

It's Official

July 29th, 2015



I sit here on the front porch of my host home watching the sun set as beautifully has it has for the last thirteen weeks.  Tonight is my last night here in Mozambique as a Peace Corps Trainee.  After thirteen weeks…long at times… we head to the U.S. Embassy tomorrow and get sworn in as Peace Corps Volunteers.


We are told that this is a ceremony, very formal, with appetizers with the ambassador and media coverage. It seems extravagant but them the Peace Corps motto “The toughest job you’ll ever love” deems the formality of the day.

All of us, 34 total, are eager to practice what the training has covered; workshops on preventing HIV, dealing with positive results, malnutrition, infant mortality, malaria, to mention a few “hot” topics.  The training has covered the technical aspects so we have capacity, yet there is a gap.  It’s not possible to hit the job running, the challenge will be to assimilate into the community, get accepted, and then with few resources deliver the information. The stressful part is that the information will save lives; we are not selling blue jeans.


I do need to often remind myself constantly of the purpose of my being here. Honestly, looking down at my dirty feet caused by dirt terracotta roads and my flip flops after the bucket bath with two gallons of water, explains the frequent reminders. Cravings of candy, my coffee brewer, clean mugs, a dishwasher, CNN, stable internet, lasagna, and half-n-half,  convinces myself that time flies. 

Right now the conclusion of the training portion thrills me as we get in the van and start the challenging trek.  I bet the liquorice that my family sent will help as soon as it gets here!

I want to thank the trainers and those involved with drying the water behind our ears. And thanks to my 33 PCV peeps, which made this mother hen always look forward to their company with pride to be in their group. Thank you for keeping up on my adventure with your blog views.

Of course I am especially thankful that my kids who are proceeding very well will just three skype talks a week from me.  And my mom who just whimpers instead of crying! 


Prayers are answered.  xo

1 comment: