Saturday, February 4, 2017

Dear Mom from Africa

Dear Mom,
I just wanted you to know that I have been thinking about you more than usual lately.  You see I have starting to clean up and pack as I get ready to end my adventure here in Mozambique; only five months left!
I think about how dismayed you were when I told you that I was coming to Africa for two years and you yelling/crying on the phone to come home after I departed.  So much of your worrying had validity.  
There were enough times that your voice rung in my ears and I was agreeing with you; I have had days were I wanted to return home. 
- Like the day when my peanut butter melted sitting in the cupboard inside my house, which is warmer than the 100 degrees from outside because of the metal roof.
- Or my face slamming into my closed bedroom door walking from the sitting room to the bedroom where I kept my flashlight.  
-Or having that baby die in front of me from dehydration due to diarrhea -  one of many.
- Or being stood up by 5 people for a meeting that took me hours to prepare for.
- Or that time I had to walk home, tired, in the dark, from the bus station with 6 heavy plastic bags of groceries and one bag broke open.
- Or the time when the last bus coming home breaks down and people calmly got off and were walking with some direction, and I had no idea where we were. I felt like I was in the middle of nowhere and had a moment of panic.
- Or the time my computer modem fell from my backpack in a car returning to the city 3 hours away. I felt like my arms were cut off. (That was almost as bad as when I couldn’t get my computer to turn on.)

Yes mom those were times when I just sighed and hope my children never have this crazy idea. I keep calm and count the days I will be home.

Then a new day starts and I count the days I have left here and remember to keep my peanut butter in the refrigerator, buy a second flashlight; talk to mothers about rehydration; buy at the local market and use a basket; and that here I will never be left alone nor without.

Here in my village the people hear you mom.   They watch out for me and I guide them for a better life.

Now our family is part of their family.
@bloggingabroad






 







2 comments:

  1. Mary Angela, this was one of the most beautiful things that I have read!! You brought tears to my eyes and am very proud to have you as a friend!! You go girl and can not wait to welcome you home - even if it is via facebook :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There can be no triumph without toil and trial. Take heart to know that you're peers, have adored you since childhood are in awe of you and take lessons from every step you make. Be that forward or back xoxo

    ReplyDelete