Saturday, April 1, 2017

Lessons learned from two suitcases

Beginning in January of this year I have been preparing to count down my last six months here as a volunteer and started to pack to leave my site. (This is a quirk that I have; I think it has something to do with my controlling time, urgency, and readiness. I started piles and lists 12 months before I came here, so now I am in reverse; preparing to pack up six months in advance).  As I go through my items I wonder why I ever brought it or thankful for having it sent. 
This post is directed to my co-worker’s daughter who will be starting her Peace Corps time in July in Tanzania. 

Dear Nur,

I’m sure you are getting excited with your travels coming up and your mother is already helping you pack.  As promised, here are a few tips that I can share with you. Hopefully it will assist scratch things off your shopping list and putting a few things on.
Keep in mind that the resources of our two countries are different; Mozambique is poorer, larger, and closer to South African imports. Yet we are both Americans living in East Africa for a good amount of time so my experience could help.
Here are my two cents:
    1)  *    Take three days and make a list of everything you touch and use.  Sit down and think about which items are necessary to SURVIVE.  That will scratch off about 80%. People have survived here for centuries, and on the whole are more content than we, the affluent consumers, are.  African women are naturally beautiful without bags of makeup, you will be too.


    2)   *   Remember that song “Can’t Buy Me Love”…That is true but small trinkets help in expressing your gratitude, receiving smiles, and assimilating into your community.  My top item is lollipops for children in my village. When mothers see or hear the glee of a child receiving a piece of candy they too smile, and you become viewed as part of the team.  My village is like my second home now and these people are my extended family. I started with sporadic giving of a lollipop on the way to the bakery. Stickers, pencils, small note pads (dollar store items) are other items. (PS you are not Santa Clause nor have a bag of money – you come with the riches of being a human resource for assisting these people have better lives.)

      3)   *   As far as work goes there are a few things that I needed sent from home, because I didn’t have access here or wasn’t creative enough to make them.  An example is children’s books, which I used as a secondary project doing creative thinking activities. So if you have a hobby or skill that can be shared bring extra supplies; crayons, paint, yarn, needles, etc. When those run out you will be at the stage that you will be able to substitute with local resources.

      4)      Clothes. Half my luggage was clothes and honestly I over packed. A good hint is to pretend you are going to train Boy/Girl Scout leaders for a week at a camp in the desert. Professional, easy to wash and dry, lightweight, conservative; pack a ten day supply.  Consider the heat, ironing, and weight of item.  I never used my sweatshirt, put on jeans once, and a jacket a few mornings during a quick cold spell – it has never fallen below 60F.  You will quickly see the garb used there and find a seamstress to have some beautiful things made from the capolana fabric. I suggest two year supply of undergarments.  

      5)    *  Here or some extra necessities needed to bring; a laptop, a separate storage device with music, books, or media, a few extra UBS’s, a cell phone, a camera, locks, a small flash light, rechargeable batteries, a backpack, extra pens, highlighters.
6)     * Now finally to fill the remaining space to indulge yourself: spices, body lotion, perfume, candy for you, pictures of home, your favorite toothpaste, etc.


No matter what you bring or don’t bring, you will have an experience of a lifetime.  You will feel more appreciation of what you miss from home, yet  you will be filled with gratuity from all the experiences that you will be receiving during your time serving in your new home.


Godspeed.

Stay local

Learn to play their games.

When in Rome....


 








No comments:

Post a Comment