Sunday, June 4, 2017

Infected with Africa












I sit here in my apartment on my last Sunday morning in my village, and I am wondering why I feel so strange. My symptoms have been persistently obvious, as careful as I’ve been. Why didn’t I realize that this was happening?

I caught an infection.  I think it’s chronic.  How did this happen?






Have I been contaminated from the morning greetings from these people?







Is it the dusty roads, or did I catch something traveling with the other volunteers?




Is it the consumption of unprocessed food, or tomatoes straight from the ground?


Did the bakery make me sick?


Was the Peace Corps a steroid for the past two years?






Could the animals seen on the safari make me sick?







Are my children tainted as well?








Was a curse from the witch doctor placed on me?






The children, that could be it, un bathed, under nourished, bright smiled, curious; all those hugs, touches, that could have passed some cardiac  bacteria.

Yes, I am infected with Africa. Thank you Peace Corps.

Ps. “Maryangela’s Venture to Mozambique as a Peace Corps Volunteer” has spread this infection to 13,000 views over the last two years.  Thank you for sharing this illness with me, continue to check in to see my treatment, remember it is chronic and will require many years of treatment.

“Peace Corps volunteers around the world work with communities to strengthen local capacity, facilitate cultural exchanges and build relationships that last a lifetime.” 







2 comments:

  1. God bless you Maryangela for all that you have done. It takes a very special person to leave the footprint that you are obviosdly leaving with everyone that you have helped. I can't wait to see you my dear friend, for however long it may be.....Nanette

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so relieved you had a wonderful PC experience the last two years. I bet your village will miss you terribly!

    ReplyDelete