Saturday, November 12, 2016

Mozambique Mourns With Us


Wednesday morning I was rather sleepy from a late night in the city attending election gatherings in the city, because of the time difference I left before the final count. Mid-morning, while on a crowded bus returning to my site, I received the news via text from a fellow volunteer.  “I am heartbroken”. 


Being overseas was difficult during this election year to get a sense of what was happening at home. Common sense and reality was keeping all of us abroad calm. Conversations revolved on the embarrassment of the comportment of the Republican candidate and his viewpoints on many social issues.



















His racial issues stung, and as a “grassroots ambassador” I am humiliated. As the only American in my village, I have had to think hard on how to respond to the questions and how to turn the condolences into a learning moment.  For them and for me.

I have discussed the Electoral College, the balance of powers, majority/minority in Congress, the “unity” of the parties, the skill of diplomacy, quite majorities, and the final point is the strength American’s have to advocate. (Here in Mozambique, recent assassinations have occurred between the two political parties - my response has been a shrug and to increase security).

Here at the hospital worries have already started for the HIV/AIDS and malaria funding, and the ideas of another war. My only response is that many of these programs are funded and budgeted for a grant time frame; there could be the risk of decrease the yearly amount, but not elimination overnight. I tried to explain that many humanitarian projects have gotten approval from both parties in Congress, so that one buffoon can’t overturn as much as we think as fast as we fear. 


I’m trying to take a proactive approach and deal with my disappointment. I painfully have realized that I live in a bubble, and it has burst.  That is my fault.  I will remain unshakable on an ethical humanitarian platform. I will remain an advocate.  I will not burn the flag. I do not fear change.  I will continue to honor the privilege it is to be an American.  


Now Geppetto make this puppet dance for us; the world is watching.















No comments:

Post a Comment