Sunday, January 10, 2016

Minha casa e sua casa


Here is a little update on my home here in Magude, Mozambique. It’s been 5 months of setting up house and I’m content with my dwelling. Welcome:





Let me begin with the necessities:  the bathroom. I was ecstatic I had one that was an indoor, had a toilet, a bathing area, and running water.  Unfortunately the water is scarce and only flows during brief time periods (one hour lately); hence the plastic tubs – which are filled daily. The water system is a quandary for everyone that has access; it seems that aside from rain shortage, it also depends on electricity which has its own conundrum. It’s a riddle sometimes, “Where does the water go when the electricity is taking a nap? A: To the upper bunk”.




My kitchen area is a refrigerator and a table with a gas burner. That’s sufficient, except for the lack of sink which accounts for the plastic tubs. It’s a slight set-back but I manage.



My armoire took some creativity and I am happy with the results. Cement blocks and boards for shelves. The bed is covered with a mosquito net to avoid getting Malaria.












The same cinder block design is used for my pantry in my living room/kitchen. One big happy room.







One interesting thing has been using the traditional capolanas as table linen, covers, and wall decorations.  Here woman use these as part of their attire around their waste to both formal events, informal routines and as an apron home. I have still not made the grade with tying it and it will take some time before I can figure out the lovely hair wrap technique.




This is my basket holder. With the sandy roads that’s all it is used for.





This is Pluto who likes me too much.




This has been a great abode to rest while I’m on this adventure.  xo




hashtag #BloggingAbroad









No comments:

Post a Comment